Wrestling News

Amore/Janela Fight, Kofi Kingston Injury Update, Del Rio/Ortiz MMA Fight & PROGRESS Chapter 92 Match Announced | Wrestling News Update, 10th July, 2019

From a Kofi Kingston injury update to another athlete announced for 2019’s BOLA, Matt Booker rounds up the days stories in the Wrestling News Update.

MISSED ALL THE BIG NEWS IN WRESTLING? DO NOT FEAR WE WILL COVER ALL THE BIG STORIES IN ONE PLACE; THIS IS THE WRESTLING NEWS UPDATE!

KOFI KINGSTON INJURY UPDATE

As we reported earlier this week, WWE Champion Kofi Kingston is currently dealing with an injury. Although he is still expected to compete Sunday at Extreme Rules, it was bad enough to keep him from performing at a SmackDown Live event on Monday.

Kofi is currently still being prevented form performing, according to PWInsider, the nature of the injury is back related.

Kofi last competed on Sunday night, facing Dolph Ziggler, he told fans on Monday that he was injured, but would be ready for Sunday. Kofi is set to face Samoa Joe with his title on the line.

ENZO AND JOEY JANELA GET INTO SHOOT FIGHT

Enzo and Joey Janela got into a fight at a Blink182 concert. Click here to read more about this strange encounter.

ALBERTO DEL RIO PLANNING TO FIGHT TITO ORTIZ

The rumoured fight between former WWE Champion Alberto Del Rio and former UFC Light-Heavyweight Champion Tito Ortiz is apparently much more than a rumour. This comes off the back of an interview given by Campbell McLaren and Spanish YouTube channel Generation MMA. Campbell is the founder of Combate Americas, the company promoting the fight.

Both men are signed to the promotion, Alberto is 42 with Ortiz slightly older at 44. Ortiz is a member of the UFC’s hall of fame, his record currently stands at 20:12:1. Alberto has also been inside an MMA ring before, holding a record of 9:5. Having said that, the level of competition both men have faced differs significantly.

The fight is supposed to take place at a catch weight of 210lbs. Although no venue or date has been confirmed officially, Del Rio said in February that he would have one last fight this November, at Caesars Palace, Las Vegas.

PWG CONFIRM BANDIDO FOR BOLA

PWG has announced Bandido as the latest entrant to the 2019 Battle of Las Angeles. Bandido has a fantastic run is last year’s tournament, losing in the final to the winner, Jeff Cobb.

Currently, seven wrestlers have been announced for the annual tournament, see below for the most up to date list:

  • A-Kid
  • Jonathan Gresham
  • Artemis Spencer
  • Darby Allin
  • Mick Moretti
  • Orange Cassidy
  • Bandido

MLW ANNOUNCES WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH

MLW has announced that Jacob Fatu will make the first defence of his title at the upcoming Never Say Never TV tapings. The event will take place on the 25th of July and will be held at the Melrose Ballroom, Queens, New York.

The match will see Tom Lawlor get his rematch for the title he lost to Fatu at the Kings of Colosseum special.

This will be the third match added to the card:

  • Jacob Fatu vs. Tom Lawlor – World Heavyweight Title match
  • L.A Park vs. Jimmy Havoc
  • Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Timothy Thatcher

PAUL ROBINSON vs. LUCKY KID ANNOUNCED FOR PROGRESS 93

Progress Wrestling announced today that Progress 93 would see Paul Robinson take on Lucky Kid. This will be Lucky Kids first match since losing the Wasteman Challenge Hangover Scramble to Chris Brookes at Super Strong Style 16. Robinson last competed for Progress on Monday, losing to Trent Seven.

Comment

To Top