Wrestling News

Harley Race, AEW Women’s Title, All Out Match Announced, WWE Live Events & DEFIANT Closes Down | Wrestling News Update, August 1st 2019

With news on Harley Race’s passing, DEFIANT’s closure and news from WWE, AEW and Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, Matty Deller brings you the Wrestling News Update.

MISSED ALL THE BIG NEWS IN WRESTLING? DO NOT FEAR WE WILL COVER ALL THE BIG STORIES IN ONE PLACE; THIS IS THE WRESTLING NEWS UPDATE!

HARLEY RACE PASSES AWAY

WWE Hall of Famer Harley Race has passed away, aged 76. Click here for the full story.

AEW TO CROWN WOMEN’S CHAMPION

The first AEW Women’s Champion will be decided on their first television episode, as first reported by Sports Illustrated. The inaugural champion will be decided in a format that will be revealed on next week’s Road to All Out episode.

Chief Brand Officer Brandi Rhodes said on the announcement:

“For many female wrestlers, the opportunity to fight for the title represents the crowning achievement of their careers. The AEW Women’s Championship will be the cornerstone of the women’s division.”

“The championship will be treated with the utmost respect and prestige. We hope to inspire future female wrestlers to dream of holding such a meaningful title.”

The belt will be revealed on August 31st at All Out.

CODY VS SHAWN SPEARS CONFIRMED FOR ALL OUT

Cody Rhodes vs. Shawn Spears is now official for All Out on August 31st.

Episode three of the Road to All Out featured a contract signing for Cody vs. Spears. Tully Blanchard, who is managing Spears had it stipulated that Cody and Spears will only be allowed to have one person each in their corner for the match.

This all began when Cody called Spears “a great hand” and someone who could be a player-coach for AEW. At Fyter Fest, Spears appeared and gave Cody a chair shot. On an episode of road to All Out, Tully Blanchard was revealed as Spears’ manager.

WWE CANCELS THREE LIVE EVENTS

WWE has cancelled three house shows due to ‘scheduling conflicts’.

Saturday’s show in Bowling Green, Kentucky, Sunday’s show in Danville, Illinois and Monday’s event in Kalamazoo, Michigan have all fallen foul of cancellations.

IO SHIRAI VS CANDICE LERAE ANNOUNCED FOR NXT TAKEOVER TORONTO

On this week’s NXT, General manager William Regal announced that Candice LeRae will face Io Shirai at next weeks TakeOver event in Toronto.

Shirai turned heel against LeRae on the June 26 episode of NXT after losing a steel cage match against NXT Women’s Champion Shayna Baszler on that show. After the match, Shirai attacked LeRae and beat her down with a steel chair. LeRae returned the favour to Shirai last week during Io’s match against Kacy Catanzaro.

ALEX SHELLEY REVEALS HE WAS HOMELESS POST ROH

During Ring of Honor’s  10 Questions With… column with Alex Shelley, Shelley revealed that after he left Ring of Honor and “retired” from professional wrestling he became homeless.

Shelley said;

“Again, full transparency: I went through a lot of life changes when I left ROH. I got divorced, I was homeless, no income, I was paying for school and working for free, and I had some dark, dark days. Helping people is on my bucket list. I’d like to go back to school again, maybe for psychology this time. Pain management is a huge up and coming field, so is sports psych, and to bring this answer full circle, I’d like to be able to help people not just physically, but mentally and emotionally. And maybe charm them with my rapier, Oscar Wilde wit. Laughter is a solid medicine.”

Alex Shelley has recently returned to ROH during a TV taping in Philadelphia on June 29. He will be challenging ROH World Champion Matt Taven for the title on Aug. 9 at Summer Supercard in Toronto, Ontario. To check out the full interview, click here.

MORE ADDED TO SUPER J-CUP

On Wednesday night, New Japan Pro Wrestling announced that CMLL’s Caristico alongside NJPW’s Ryusuke Taguchi and Taiji Ishimori will be in the 2019 Super J-Cup.

They will be joining TJP, Dragon Lee, and SHO in the tournament with many more to be announced.

The tournament takes place on August 22nd, 24th and 25 in Tacoma, San Fransisco and Long Beach respectively.

DEFIANT TO CLOSE IT’S DOORS

DEFIANT Wrestling has announced that after three years, they will no longer be in business. Click here for the full story.

REY HORUS ANNOUNCED FOR BOLA 2019

Rey Horus has been announced as the 18th entrant announced for PWG’s Battle of Los Angeles.

Horus made his PWG debut in 2017 and has been in BOLA each of the last two years. Horus teamed with Bandido & Flamita against Black Taurus, Laredo Kid & Puma King in a six-man tag match at PWG Sixteen last week. 

The other confirmed members of the 2019 Battle of Los Angeles are:

  • A-Kid
  • Jonathan Gresham
  • Artemis Spencer
  • Darby Allin
  • Mick Moretti
  • Orange Cassidy
  • Bandido
  • Caveman Ugg
  • Jake Atlas
  • Tony Deppen
  • Fenix
  • Lucky Kid
  • Joey Janela
  • Brody King
  • Barbaro Cavernario
  • Jungle Boy
  • Black Taurus

Comment

To Top