Wrestling News

Major NXT Announcement Tonight | Wrestling News Update, May 13 2020

With news on another big announcement from WWE; Matt Booker brings you the Wrestling News Update.

 

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT SET FOR TONIGHT’S NXT

William Regal took part in today’s episode of ‘The Bump’. During the episode he revealed that a major announcement would be made on tonight’s episode of NXT.

No further information has been given regarding the nature of the announcement. Although, we were later informed that the announcement would be made by DX, with Triple H and Shawn Michaels both tagged. This will be the second time WWE has teased an announcement this week, following Becky Lynch’s pregnancy news and title abdication.

SAMI ZAYN STRIPPED OF INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE

WWE announced earlier today that the Intercontinental title had been vacated by Sami Zayn. Click here to find out more.

WWE REPORTEDLY LOOKING FOR NEW LOCATION FOR SUMMERSLAM

Twitter account @WrestleVotes has announced that WWE is looking for a new venue to host SummerSlam and that they’d like fans to attend.

This isn’t unexpected. Last week (May 8) Boston’s Mayor, Marty Walsh, said in a speech that, parades, festival, and other events that attract large crowds should look for other locations. Boston wouldn’t be open for that kind of activity until after September 7 (Labor Day).

SummerSlam was originally planned for August 23, at TD Gardens, Boston. Although there has been no official word from WWE, WrestleVotes suggests Florida or Georgia.

RIC FLAIR RE-SIGNS WITH WWE

According to WrestlingInc’s Raj Giri, Ric Flair has signed a new contract with WWE.

The story has been somewhat confirmed by Ric himself, posting a video to his social media channels of him working out, when questioned about why he is working so hard Ric responds:

Why am I working out so hard? I’m reaching out for that brass ring. They’ll put me back on RAW! they’ll put me back on SmackDown! With all the superstars!

STING FAILS TO SIGN NEW WWE CONTRACT

ProWrestlingSheet has revealed that WWE Hall of Famer, Sting, is currently without a WWE contract.

Earlier this week the question about Sting’s future with the WWE first came up. Sting was withdrawn from a new line of WWE action figures. When questioned on the withdrawl, Mattel said he was removed “due to circumstances out of their control”.

There is a reasonable amount of speculation linking Sting with AEW. Although there hasn’t been an official word from anyone, Sting has been interacting with a number of AEW stars on Twitter, including Cody.

REY FENIX ADDED TO THE CASINO LADDER MATCH

AEW announced today that Mexican star, Rey Fenix, will be taking part in the Casino Ladder match. The match will be taking place at Double or Nothing 2.

Fenix joins Darby Allin, Orange Cassidy, and Colt Cabana in the match. The winner will receive a shot at the AEW World title. Double or Nothing is set to take place on May 23.

NJPW REVEALS ROADMAP TO THEIR RETURN

NJPW’s President and CEO, Harold George Meij, released a video today, explaining their plans and views regarding the return of NJPW.

In the video, Harold explained that cancelling and postponing events were unprecedented for New Japan. He then gave three reasons why NJPW hadn’t conducted empty arena events, they were:

  1. To protect the health and safety of wrestlers and staff.
  2. Inability to use venues.
  3. NJPW’s view of their corporate social responsibility.

He went on to say that the first step back would be holding empty arena matches, but these won’t be able to happen until the following criteria have been satisfied:

  • State of emergency has been lifted
  • when the rate of new infections decline
  • when matches can be held in a properly disinfected and safe setting

When these requirements have been met, matches will restart in both Japan and NJPW’s LA dojo.

The next step will be returning fans to events. Mr Meij states clearly that this will require rigorous health checks for wrestlers and staff. Fans will have their temperatures checked, be required to wear a mask, and venues will be properly disinfected and ventilated.

TASHA STEELZ SIGNS WITH IMPACT

Earlier today, Impact Wrestling announced the addition of Tasha Steelz to their roster. In a short clip, Tasha says that she’ll add some flavour to the Knockouts division.

In an interview on the Impact Wrestling website, Steelz’ says the following:

“I feel great signing with Impact,” she said. “I have been working extremely hard for this moment and, in my mind, I’m saying, ‘It’s about damn time!’ I’ve been watching Impact Wrestling for a long time, following everything Impact has been doing over the years and the amazing talent (on the roster). I feel I can bring a different flavor to the Knockouts Division.

“The Knockouts Division has amazing, talented women with different types of styles, backgrounds, and personalities.”

NWA ANNOUNCED NEW SHOW TO AIR NEXT WEEK

On last night’s episode of NWA Super Powerrr, Billy Corgan unveiled a new show from the NWA, Carnyland.

Not much is known about the show at present, other than the first episode will air next Tuesday night at 6:05 ET. Billy Corgan himself said the show was “impossible to explain”.

PROGRESS SUPER STRONG STYLE 16 2020 CANCELLED

Unfortunately, Progress Wrestling’s annual tournament is off this year. Click here to find out more about this.

Comment

Latest Content

To Top