Wrestling News

Matt Riddle Possibly Moving Brands | Wrestling News Update, May 26 2020

With news on Matt Riddle, Drew Gulak & Jeff Jarrett; Matty Deller brings you the Wrestling News Update.

MISSED ALL THE BIG NEWS IN WRESTLING? DO NOT FEAR WE WILL COVER ALL THE BIG STORIES IN ONE PLACE; THIS IS THE WRESTLING NEWS UPDATE!

MATT RIDDLE REPORTEDLY HEADING TO SMACKDOWN

According to Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio, Matt Riddle is set to move brands with SmackDown being his likely destination.

Meltzer said Riddle was “performing” Monday at the Performance Center which could possibly be for this Friday’s show or next week. WWE was originally scheduled to tape two editions of Raw Monday and two editions of SmackDown Tuesday, so it’s what Riddle was doing yesterday is anyone guess.

The reported feud he will have is with King Corbin on SmackDown since Corbin eliminated him at the Rumble. Matt Riddle will face Timothy Thatcher in a ‘cage fight’ on this Wednesday’s NXT, with Kurt Angle as guest referee.

DREW GULAK REPORTEDLY RE-SIGNS WITH WWE

Fightful Select reported this evening that Drew Gulak could have re-signed with WWE.

They said that he is set to be working a battle royal that is scheduled to take place on this week’s SmackDown. They said it wasn’t confirmed if Gulak had re-signed with WWE or not, but PWInsider has reported that is the case.

Gulak’s WWE.com profile, that was moved to the alumni section, has now been moved back to the active roster page.

It was confirmed on May 16 that Gulak was no longer under WWE contract as the two sides had failed to negotiate a deal.

VINCE MCMAHON DISMISSES NEW XFL RUMOURS

ESPN’s Kevin Seifert has revealed new details from an XFL bankruptcy filing made today in Delaware, where owner Vince McMahon noted in the filing that he will not be a bidder for the league.

The committee of unsecured creditors to the league recently objected to the filing, claiming Vince was trying to rig the bankruptcy process as a way to buy back the league without fully paying back debtors. Vince dismissed this speculation in today’s filing, saying;

“I’m not going to be a bidder.”

Vince also noted in the filings that he put in “at least” $200 million into the XFL.

BALOR VS PRIEST ANNOUNCED FOR NXT TAKEOVER IN YOUR HOUSE

Finn Balor vs. Damian Priest has been made official for NXT TakeOver: In Your House on Sunday, June 7th.

The match was confirmed during Priest’s appearance on The Pat McAfee show this morning. On NXT two weeks ago, Damien Priest attacked Balor and cost Balor his match against Cameron Grimes. He then revealed that he was the person who attacked Balor in the NXT locker room last month.

STARDOM RELEASES STATEMENT ON HANA KIMURA, JAPANESE GOVERNMENT TO LOOK AT CYBERBULLYING LAWS

In the aftermath of Hana Kimura’s passing, STARDOM has released a statement on the matter.

In this statement, they said;

In regards to the passing of Hana Kimura,

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for your concern and sorrow due to the sudden passing of Stardom’s Hana Kimura on May 23. According to the police report, there is no case of foul play.

Regarding more details on the cause of death, we will refrain from publishing anything, according to the wishes of the bereaving family. We do not plan to announce the details here in any press conference or news releases. We kindly ask for your continued support.

In addition, please refrain from to interview the family and athletes belonging to Stardom in consideration of the current situation. Moreover, please refrain from visiting the bereaving family, athletes’ homes, offices, the dojo, etc.

Regarding the funeral of Hana Kimura, we will not be announcing the date and time nor the place according to the wishes of the bereaving family. We would appreciate the consideration of the media and fans.

The bereaving family expresses their deep gratitude to the fans who supported Hana Kimura, and although the date and time of the event is currently undecided due to the Coronavirus situation, a memorial service for Hana Kimura will be held.

We are taking everything into consideration, and deciding on plans for videos and photos that can be shared with her fans. Details will be announced as soon as they are decided. We are very sorrowful on Hana’s passing, and only wish for her to rest in eternal peace.

Thank you.

In addition, CNN have reported that Japan’s Minister of Internal Affairs and Communication, Sanae Takaichi, pledged on Tuesday to speed up government discussions around cyberbullying legislation. They also report that Takaichi would head a government panel to discuss whether internet users could be identified if their posts included “slander and defamation.”

JARRETT VS ANTHEM COURT DATE REPORTEDLY SET

Mike Johnson at PWInsider is reporting that Jeff Jarrett and Anthem Sports are set to go to trial on June 30th.

The trial is expected to last up to a week with the court noting the “trial date is realistic notwithstanding COVID-19, and the parties shall anticipate going forward on that date.”

The lawsuit between Jarrett and Anthem revolves around the usage, and deletion of the GFW Amped tapes. Jarrett hit IMPACT and Anthem with a lawsuit in August 2018, suing over copyright infringement pertaining to their use of Jarrett’s name and likeness along with their use of GFW Amped content.

There reportedly was an attempt to resolve the lawsuit with the two parties entering mediation last month. Jarrett attended the mediation in person while Anthem Wrestling President Ed Nordholm appeared via teleconference from Canada, as he is unable to enter the United States. However, discussions to reach a settlement failed, leading to the upcoming trial.

Latest Content

To Top