It’s one of the most exciting, heart-stopping tournaments of the year and New Japan Pro Wrestling have revealed nearly all of the participants of this years Best of The Super Juniors.
During today’s Road to Dontaku event in Korakuen Hall, the lineup was officially announced featuring nineteen of the best junior heavyweights on the planet and one mysterious entrant under the name of X.
The field contains veterans, four newcomers making their tournament debuts and a former NEVER Openweight Champion.
Here is the full line-up:
- Ryusuke Taguchi (16th appearance, 2012 winner)
- Tiger Mask (18th appearance, 2004 & 2005 winner)
- Rocky Romero (7th appearance)
- YOH (2nd appearance)
- SHO (2nd appearance)
- Will Ospreay (4th appearance, 2016 winner)
- Taiji Ishimori (3rd appearance)
- El Desperado (4th appearance)
- TAKA Michinoku (7th appearance)
- Yoshinobu Kanemaru (3rd appearance)
- BUSHI (7th appearance)
- Flip Gordon (2nd appearance)
- Titan (2nd appearance)
- Marty Scurll (3rd appearance)
- Dragon Lee (3rd appearance, current IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion)
- Robbie Eagles (Debut)
- Bandido (Debut)
- Jonathan Gresham (Debut)
- X (Unknown)
X will be officially revealed at Wrestling Dontaku in Fukuoka on May 4th. Many people believe that it is El Phantasmo, a UK-based Canadian wrestler who has had a number of vignettes over the last few months on New Japan shows.
The tournament starts on March 13th and ends on June 6th at Sumo Hall with the tournament finals. Details involving blocks and cards will go down at a later date.
Every show for the tournament will air live, and will also have English commentary.