MISSED ALL THE BIG NEWS IN WRESTLING? DO NOT FEAR WE WILL COVER ALL THE BIG STORIES IN ONE PLACE; THIS IS THE WRESTLING NEWS UPDATE!
Click here to read our report on last night’s episode of SmackDown.
GALLOWS AND ANDERSON GIVE THEIR FIRST INTERVIEW, DISCUSS WWE EXIT
In a much-anticipated podcast, Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson have finally opened up about their time with WWE. The episode of Talkn’ Shop was hosted by Ryan Satin and also saw Rocky Romero join. The conversation covered Gallows and Anderson’s run with the WWE, from signing with WWE in 2016 to renegotiating their contracts in 2019, to their release on April 15 as part of WWE’s black Wednesday.
See here for a rough timeline and keypoints:
- The pair never felt that Triple H wanted them, just AJ. Very early in their contracts, the pair were already asking themselves if they should request their releases.
- When their contracts were about to expire in 2019 the pair received competitive offers from most of the major promotions, but most notably AEW, NJPW and Impact, as well as having a WWE offer on the table. Being friendly with a number of people at AEW the pair decided to move, they had meetings with The Young Bucks and Kenny Omega, with one set up between themselves and Tony Khan. Around this time Triple H made them a huge offer they couldn’t refuse.
- Gallows and Anderson re-signed with WWE, picking up lucrative five-year deals. The pair candidly state that they wish they hadn’t. They said that they know they upset a number of people at AEW. The Young Bucks has even shared a plan which saw Gallows and Anderson turning on the Bucks’ during the debut episode of Dynamite. When Triple H was trying to convince them to sign, he commented on Karl Anderson’s family, saying he wanted to set the pair up for life.
- Soon after they signed the new deals with WWE they were losing every match under the booking of Paul Heyman. Paul made a number of promises which he didn’t keep. Heyman said that if he ever lied of Gallows, Gallows should bury him on social media, Gallows then confirmed that he was burying Paul on social media.
- When Gallows and Anderson were released, AJ Styles heard that it had been Paul’s decision. AJ confronted Paul who placed the blame at Vince’s shoes. When AJ saw Vince about it, Vince confirmed AJ’s original source, Gallows nor Anderson had been on Vince’s list, it had been Paul’s choice. This is why AJ moved to SmackDown, he demanded to be moved away from Heyman.
You would be correct in that assumption. https://t.co/AMLaxpyHQb— Dave Meltzer (@davemeltzerWON) July 18, 2020
Dave Meltzer has poured cold water on part of the theory. Dave pointed out that Paul Heyman only remained with the company for a short amount of time following the releases, Vince would be unlikely to trust someone he was planning to fire with such a task.
We want to make sure your family is taken care of. –@wwe— MariaKanellisBennett (@MariaLKanellis) July 18, 2020
Maria Kanellis Bennett has also weighed in on the situation, saying that WWE used exactly the same tactics when trying to convice herself and her husband, Mike, to re-sign.
VIC JOSEPH RETURNS TO 205 LIVE COMMENTARY
Vic Joseph returned to the 205 commentary team last night. This comes following his replacement on the RAW team in January of this year.
Joseph originally joined the 205 Live team on 2018, partnering with British veteran Nigel McGuinness. Vic remained on 205 Live until the September 30 2019 when he was promoted to the RAW commentary team.
Drew Gulak partnered Vic last night, he has been a guest at the commentary table for the last few weeks.
TRUST LAUNCHES IN THE UK
We are incredibly proud to announce the soft-launch of #TrustWrestling. With a view to launch in August, we wanted to be transparent with everyone affected as to who we are, what we are working on, who with and to let you know how you can be included. https://t.co/FrEb3Q4Twy— TRUST (@TRUSTWrestling) July 17, 2020
In light of the recent #SpeakingOut movement, and the harrowing stories which have come out of the British wrestling scene, TRUST has been launched. The non-profit organisation is looking to improve safeguarding in the industry to ensure a safer environment for all. Click here to find out more.
SLAMMIVERSARY 2020 CARD
.@THETOMMYDREAMER "challenges" @TheMooseNation for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship under OLD SCHOOL RULES TONIGHT at 8/7c at #Slammiversary!— IMPACT (@IMPACTWRESTLING) July 18, 2020
ORDER HERE: https://t.co/cjK3GrKZ0H pic.twitter.com/1Hx3NUSENQ
See below for the card for tonight’s Slammiversary card.
- Eddie Edwards vs. Ace Austin vs. Trey Miguel vs. TBC Impact World Championship match
- Jordynne Grace (c) vs. Deonna Purrazzo Knockouts Championship match
- Willie Mack (c) vs. Chris Bey X-Division Championship match
- The North: Josh Alexander & Ethan Page (c) vs. Sami Callihan & Ken Shamrock Impact Tag Team Championship match
- Rosemary, Nevaeh, Susie, Kiera Hogan, Taya Valkyrie, Tasha Steelz, Alisha Edwards, Kylie Rae, Kimber Lee, Jessicka Havok, and Madison Rayne Number one contender’s Knockouts gauntlet match
- Moose (c) vs. Tommy Dreamer TNA World Heavyweight Championship match
- The Rascalz open challenge
WWE THE HORROR SHOW AT EXTREME RULES CARD
The stipulation for the #WWEChampionship Match at The Horror Show at @WWE #ExtremeRules will be revealed by @HEELZiggler.— WWE (@WWE) July 18, 2020
Pause the GIF and post a screenshot of what YOU got! @DMcIntyreWWE pic.twitter.com/ofGkL2kTha
See below for the card for Sunday’s Extreme Rules card.
- Drew McIntyre (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler, WWE Championship match
- Asuka (c) vs. Sasha Banks, RAW Women’s Championship match
- Bayley (c) vs. Nikki Cross, SmackDown Women’s Championship match
- Braun Strowman vs. Bray Wyatt, Wyatt Swamp Fight match
- Rey Mysterio vs. Seth Rollins, Eye for an Eye match
- Apollo Crews (c) vs. MVP, United States Championship match
- The New Day (c) vs. Cesaro and Shinsuke Nakamura, SmackDown Tag Team Championship tables match