2K Sports have announced some huge details regarding WWE2K16, due for release in October this year. The game will be released on XBox One, PS4, Xbox 360 and PS3. Here’s what we know so far, including screenshots, videos and details straight from 2K Sports.
The cover star for the game this year is Stone Cold Steve Austin. In a strange twist and for the first time since WWF SmackDown: Just Bring It, there will be a celebrity playable character in the form of Arnold Schwarzenegger as ‘The Terminator’
[youtube id=”O7aSsaTqBCc” width=”620″ height=”360″]
For the first time ever, the game will feature a 3-man announce team consisting of John ‘Bradshaw’ Layfield, Jerry ‘The King’ Lawler, and Michael Cole. 2K Sports released the first in-game screenshot of the game featuring JBL’s cowboy hat on the announce table as a way to introduce the announce team.
WWE2K16 game developers also released an image of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s face scan:
Here’s what we know about the details of the actual game itself so far:
- The game will feature the largest roster in the history of WWE video games, with over 120 unique playable characters. 2K Sports confirmed this number does NOT include duplicate historical models.
- There will be an extended NXT roster in the game including favourites such as Sami Zayn, Finn Balor and Kevin Owens (who is now on WWE’s main roster).
- MyCareer has been extended. No longer does the game end when you become WWE World Heavyweight Champion, allowing you to play until you’re inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame.
- Create a Diva is back in
- Create a PPV is back in
- Create an Arena is back in
- Create a Championship is back in
- WWE Universe now allows you to book all superstars on all shows. The option for ‘drafting’ remains should you wish to use it.
- Online is said to have been ‘completely overhauled’
- 3 Man Commentary Team of JBL, Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole.
- Ladder Match is back in
- Handicap Matches are back in
- Tornado Tag Team Matches are back in
In terms of actual gameplay, from videos we’ve seen, here’s what we’ve noticed about the game so far:
- The game is edging closer towards a simulation model
- Chain grappling returns, with additional sequences and transitions and is dependent on your wrestlers’ attributes. There can be ties, clean breaks and even dirty cheap shots.
- ‘Working’ grapples are introduced such as rest holds, which enable you to regain stamina while draining that of your opponent.
- Reversals are completely overhauled. You now have a limited amount of reversal attempts and once used, they regenerate slowly. You’ll need to pick your reversals carefully.
- There are added ‘major reversals’ which take up 2 reversal attempts, but can turn the tide of a match on its head if successful. They’re also much harder to execute.
- There are no loading screens between entrances
- You can attack your opponent mid-entrance
- Referee and Manager AI has been improved
- The pinfall and submission system has been completely overhauled. We’re not quite sure how it works yet, but you can see it in effect in the video above.
10th August 2015 update;
In the first of the IGN Weekly WWE Roster updates, the following superstars are now confirmed for the game which is boasting a massive 120 characters
Lord Steven Regal
Bad News Barrett
Andre the Giant
13th August Update;
GamesRader has uncovered the following Superstar Additions, judging from T-Shirts worn in the crowd from previous videos…
Jimmy & Jey Uso
Stardust (Perhaps Cody also)
Colin & Enzo Amore
Also, during another new WWE2k16 video with Stone Cold, the following names joined our already lengthy list;
We’ll update this post as and when we get new details. When the entire roster has been revealed, we will post ALL 120 Characters in a new post! For now, enjoy these videos and screenshots: