CARMELLA ADDRESS CORONAVIRUS RUMOURS
I appreciate your concern, but don’t believe everything you read on the internet. Fortunately, I’ve been healthy through all of this. ?? https://t.co/bqNbjTzhJm
— Leah Van Dale (@CarmellaWWE) April 12, 2020
Posting on Twitter earlier today, Carmella has cleared up the rumours surrounding her regarding the coronavirus.
Late last week news broke of a WWE employee who has tested positive for the illness after attending a meal with health care workers (the employee has thankfully made a full recovery). The meal in question happened the evening WrestleMania finished taping, at this point Carmella had already been self isolating for some time. Although the timelines don’t fit in the slightest, this didn’t stop fans and many media outlets wrongly linking the two. Carmella’s post was simple and to the point, no she doesn’t have the virus, she’s remained healthy throughout.
BECKY AND SETH HAVE TO POSTPONE WEDDING
In an interview with EXTRA.ie, Becky Lynch revealed that she and Seth have been forced to postpone their wedding because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
In the interview she was very matter of fact about the whole situation, saying:
Yeah it has, that’s going to to get pushed back, obviously. Look, at the end of the day, I’m going to be with him forever. So it doesn’t matter if we get married next month or next year or two days from now, it’s all the same, but it would be better if my family and friends could be there.
While she gave away very few details regarding the wedding, she did say that the wedding would be taking place somewhere in America, rather than the Republic of Ireland:
It’ll be somewhere over this side of the pond
WWE DECLARED ‘ESSENTIAL BUSINESS’
— Harry (@harryaaron) April 13, 2020
In a bizarre twist, Orange County Mayor Jerry Demmings has revealed that WWE has been declared an ‘essential business’.
It was revealed today, when during a mayoral address, Demmings said;
“Originally, they were not deemed an essential business. With some conversation with the governor’s office regarding the governor’s order, they were deemed an essential business.”
No reasoning was given as to why WWE is apparently an essential business during a worldwide pandemic.
RAW, NXT and SmackDown will air from the WWE Performance Center for the foreseeable future.
XFL FILES FOR BANKRUPTCY
BREAKING: XFL files for bankruptcy. N bankruptcy filing reveals that WWE actually does own part of league (23.5% of Class B stock). Among the creditors — Bob Stoops ($1M), Marc Trestman ($777K), Ticketmaster ($655K), other coaches ($583K) and MetLife Stadium lease ($368K). pic.twitter.com/PRj3CXAnkv
— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) April 13, 2020
Only three days ago we reported on the shutting of the XFL. The league was only five games into its first season after returning earlier this year. At the time we commented on the unfortunate financial situation this would leave the league in, but it appears we drastically underestimated the position the league was in.
While it was revealed that the XFL was receiving no money from TV networks to broadcast the games this season (the idea being that they’d start paying next year), with the bankruptcy filings being public documents we now know a lot more about the financial position the league was in.
In a statement issued by the league, the blame is squarely and rightly placed at the feet of the Covid-19 pandemic, the statement reads:
“The XFL quickly captured the hearts and imaginations of millions of people who love football. Unfortunately, as a new enterprise, we were not insulated from the harsh economic impacts and uncertainties caused by the COVID-19 crisis,” the league said in a statement.
“Accordingly, we have filed a voluntary petition for relief under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. This is a heartbreaking time for many, including our passionate fans, players and staff, and we are thankful to them, our television partners, and the many Americans who rallied to the XFL for the love of football.”
Vince McMahon owned the league and is set to lose a huge amount of the money he had personally invested in it, some reports place his investment around the $300m mark. The documents filed also list many of the leagues’ other creditors though, including WWE. According to the papers, WWE owned 23.5% of the Class B shares and also stands to lose a significant amount of its investment.
Other creditors include Robert Stoops, TicketMaster, a number of coaches and some of the team’s stadiums.
AEW ANNOUNCE LIVE RECAP SHOW FOLLOWING DYNAMITE
Immediately following #AEWDynamite @OfficialTAZ & @ShutUpExcalibur will be streaming a live recap show over on our @YouTube channel.
Be sure to subscribe to our channel here ➡️ , https://t.co/rQt36UqnNe. pic.twitter.com/NrNLj5AmMv
— All Elite Wrestling (@AEWrestling) April 13, 2020
Following this week’s edition of Dynamite, AEW will air a live recap show on their YouTube channel.
AEW announced the show on Twitter earlier today. Taz and Excalibur will be hosting the show. The episode will be headlined by Moxley vs. Hager in an ‘Empty Arena No Holds Barred Championship Match’. Also on the card is Lance Archer vs. Colt Cabana in a TNT Championship Tournament first-round match, Sammy Guevara vs. Suga D, and Kip Sabian vs. Chuck Taylor. Both Britt Baker and Shawn Spears have additionally been announced as being in action.
IMPACT ANNOUNCE NEW PLANS FOR REBELLION
BREAKING: #Rebellion will now expand into a two-part television event airing April 21 and April 28 on IMPACT!
— IMPACT (@IMPACTWRESTLING) April 13, 2020
With the Covid-19 pandemic causing havoc across all areas of life and work, wrestling promotions are having to find new ways to present their shows.
Today Impact announced their pay per view, Rebellion, with now be shown as a two-part show airing on AXS TV, Twitch, and Impacts other international broadcast partners. The event will now air on April 21 and 28.
The event was originally due to take place this coming Sunday at Terminal 5 in New York. Please see below for the full statement from Impact:
In light of the restrictions placed upon live events as a result of the coronavirus, IMPACT Wrestling will hold its next major spectacular—IMPACT: Rebellion—on a closed set with only essential personnel in attendance, as per the guidelines put in place by the CDC.
Originally planned as a pay-per-view special, Rebellion will now expand into a two-part television event airing April 21 and April 28 as part of the weekly flagship series IMPACT!
Rebellion will air for free on AXS TV and Twitch in the U.S. and Fight Network in Canada, along with international IMPACT! broadcast partners.
The safety of IMPACT’s wrestlers, personnel, and fans is of the utmost importance, and while it is with some disappointment that we must scale back our original plans for the event, we are proud to have the opportunity to provide our loyal and passionate audience with some much-needed entertainment during this time. We look forward to producing a proper pay-per-view event once this crisis has passed.
While much of the card is unknown at present, Impact is advertising Sami Callihan and Ken Shamrock in a contract signing for the event tomorrow on Impact!.