MISSED ALL THE BIG NEWS IN WRESTLING? DO NOT FEAR WE WILL COVER ALL THE BIG STORIES IN ONE PLACE; THIS IS THE WRESTLING NEWS UPDATE!
KOFI KINGSTON REVEALS NEW CONTRACT
Kofi Kingston has revealed that he’s signed a new deal with the WWE on the “The New Day: Fell the Power” podcast.
Strangely, the announcement came just after Kofi was bemoaning the state of his body physically. Kofi was talking about issues he is having with one of his legs, and his limited mobility preventing him from playing with his children. It was directly after these comments Kofi spilt the beans and revealed that he’d just singed a new multi year deal with WWE.
I’m not done, I just signed another 5-year contract so we got five more years, so who knows what my body is going to feel like after that.
With another five years there is far more scope for another singles run for Kingston, while there has been no mention as to what plans there may be for Kofi and The New Day. This would have been an obvious move for Kingston, who is coming off his best year with the company. Kofi is one of the most atheletic wrestlers in the business, he will be 43 when this latest contract expries.
KAIRI SANE SUFFERED REPORTED CONCUSSION AT TLC
— KAIRI SANE (@KairiSaneWWE) December 16, 2019
Bryan Alvarez from F4Wonline has reported that Kairi Sane sufferd a concussion at last night’s TLC pay per view.
Sane was defending her Women’s Tag Team Championship alongside Asuka against RAW Women’s Champion, Becky Lynch, and Charlotte Flair. During the match all competitiors took brutal looking bumps, but it appears she hit her head while Charlotte was throwning production monitors around at ringside.
Bryan’s report picked several points during the match where he said Sane wasn’t 100%. The report also mentioned Kairi recieving an official diagonsis on Monday at RAW.
RIC FLAIR CLAIMS TO BE CLEARED FOR PHYSICAL WORK
In a recent interview with WrestlingInc, Ric Flair has claimed to be cleared for physical action. Moreover, Flair claims that he was cleared and booked for an angle at Crown Jewel, but Vince stepped in an cancelled the spot.
I got cleared medically to do something in Saudi and then Vince nixed it. If I would have fed Roman in that huge comeback he made, or tapped Hogan, that would have been the coup de gras. You just wanna give them everything they paid for and sometimes if you’re not physically involved, you feel like you’re not giving everything you had if you’re not physical.
Flair went on, talking about the possibility of him taking part in another match.
Yes… well, no, not wrestle a match. I could get knocked down. Could I wrestle a match? Yes… but I couldn’t because it would take me so long to get in that kind of shape. But I could be involved in a spot or take a bump,
quotes c/o WrestlingInc.com
COLE VS. BALOR TO OPEN NXT
WWE announced earlier today that the NXT Championship match between Finn Balor and Adam Cole would start the show and be presented commercial free.
The match was set when Balor won a triple threat match last week against Tommaso Ciampa and Keith Lee. Balor pinned Lee following a Coup de Grace.
Last time NXT presented a title match at the start of a show and commercial free was the October 2 episode. Cole retained his title in the match against Matt Riddle. October 2 was also AEW Dynamite debut night.
SIN CARA UPDATE
— Roy (@narukiroy) December 15, 2019
Last week Sin Cara was released from the WWE. This came about as the company didn’t think that Sin Cara would move to AEW. Sin Cara is currently a free agent, but is also working under the standard 90 day non-compete condition of his contract.
With this being said, many were quite shocked when the masked man showed up at AAA’s Guerra de Titane event over last weekend. The same mask and name were used from WWE. Sin Cara ran into the AAA ring to save Pagano and state that AAA was his new home.
Dave Meltzer noted on Wrestling Observer Radio that WWE had not given AAA or Jorge Arias (real name) permission to use the Sin Cara name or likeness. Dave finished by saying that the whole situation was being watched very closely by WWE.
AEW CONFIRM FINAL DATE IN FEBRUARY
— All Elite Wrestling (@AEWrestling) December 16, 2019
AEW has confirmed that final Dynamite held in February 2020 will be broadcast from the Silverstein Eye Center Arena, Kansas City, Missouri.
Tickets for the event go on sale this Friday, December 20. A number of prominent AEW star featured on the advertising for the event including Le Champion, Chris Jericho, Kenny Omega, Jon Moxley, Cody Rhodes, Britt Baker, and The Young Bucks.
AEW ACHEIVES 100,000 LIVE SOLD TICKETS
#ThankYou to each and every fan that has joined us on this journey. Whether it was coming out to live events, ordering the pay per views or buying merch. We appreciate each and every one of you. pic.twitter.com/3y9aiXlTby
— All Elite Wrestling (@AEWrestling) December 16, 2019
AEW is a company which was announced less than a year ago, and has only been running events since the end of May this year. Regardless of both of these facts, earlier today the official AEW Twitter account announced that the company had surpassed 100,000 tickets sold in 2019.
In a press release accompanying the announcement AEW CEO Tony Khan said:
To think one year ago we hadn’t yet announced the launch of AEW and our first show wouldn’t occur until late May, and today we are celebrating more than 100,000 live event tickets sold – it’s been an increadiable run and credit to our talent, our partners at TNT and out great wrestling fans for making this happen,
NJPW ADDS OPENING MATCHES TO BOTH WRESTLE KINGDOM NIGHTS
Opening matches have been added before the main card both nights at Wrestle Kingdom!
Jan.4: Henare leads the LA Dojo against the Noge hopefuls and GBH! Plus, a Third Generation tag match!
— NJPW Global (@njpwglobal) December 16, 2019
Making the announcement earlier this evening, NJPW has added matches to both nights of next year’s Wrestle Kingdom.
January 4 has had an eight man tag match added to it with Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma, Yuya Uemura, and Yota Tsuji facing Alex Coughlin, Karl Fredericks, Clark Connors and Toa Henare. A tag match was also announted for the first night, with Satoshi Kojima and Hiroyoshi Tenzan taking on Yuji Nagata and Manabu Nakanishi.
The next evening will see a five team gauntlet match with the NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team Titles on the line. Current champions Ryusuke Taguchi, Togi Makabe and Toru Yano will be defending against the following teams:
- Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HISH and Robbie Eagles
- EVIL, Shingo Takagi and BUSHI
- Taichi, Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru
- Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi and Chase Owens
ROH ANNOUNCE PCO-RUSH REMATCH
— ROH Wrestling (@ringofhonor) December 15, 2019
ROH has announced a rematch of the main event from Final Battle, where PCO defeated Rush to win the ROH World Championship. The announcement came at last ngiht’s Final Battle Fallout. The rematch will happen on January 11 at Center Stage.
PCO teamed with Marty Scurll to take on and ultimatly defeat Jeff Cobb and Dan Maff in the main event of Final Battle Fallout with Scurrl picking up the pin fall.