Wrestling News

Ric Flair Threatens WWE, Matches Made for NXT on USA, WWE Sign AAA Star & WWE Creative Changes | Wrestling News Update, 5th September 2019

With creative changes for WWE, a new signing to the Performance Center & Ric Flair threatening legal action; Matt Booker brings you the Wrestling News Update.

MISSED ALL THE BIG NEWS IN WRESTLING? DO NOT FEAR WE WILL COVER ALL THE BIG STORIES IN ONE PLACE; THIS IS THE WRESTLING NEWS UPDATE!

BIG CHANGES REPORTED IN WWE CREATIVE

WWE & BT Sports

Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter has made known a big shift in the creative teams for RAW and SmackDown.

According to the report, Ryan Ward, SmackDown’s lead writer has been let go. Officially he’s on personal leave. There have been signs that Vince has been extremely unhappy recently, the main one being the number of reports of last-minute rewrites and incidents of Vince scrapping entire episodes.

Apparently, RAW’s head writer, Ed Koskey, will be switching to SmackDown to work with Eric Bischoff. Koskey is also listed as WWE’s Vice President of Creative Writing and has been with the company for over eighteen years.

With Koskey leaving RAW, Jonathan Baeckstrom will be taking his place as lead writer. Baeckstrom was formally the lead writer for 205 Live before Paul Heyman brought him to RAW when he was hired.

RIC FLAIR THREATENS WWE WITH LEGAL ACTION

Ric Flair has threatened to sue the WWE over their current use of the term “The Man”.

Currently, Becky Lynch is using the term and has been using it since the summer of 2018.

In a video posted earlier today by TMZ, Flair says that he has tried to settle the matter out of court, but to no avail. Apparently, Flair and his lawyer were blown off by the WWE legal department.

Flair maintains that he has used the term since 1981Flair claims to own the trademark for the phrases “to be the man, you got to beat the man”, and “The Man”, filing for them late last month. Flair has said that he has no issues with Lynch using the term, as long as he is compensated.

Flair also noted that the move has caused tension in the family, with Charlotte particularly upset with him. He added that his goal was to ensure his family were financially secure after he is gone.

“My daughter is so mad at me because I’ve filed, not even understanding, it’s not with Becky, I have no beef with Becky.”

WWE ANNOUNCES MATCHES FOR NXT’S USA DEBUT

Earlier today WWE announce two matches that will take place during NXT’s debut on the USA Network.

In the first, the North American Championship will be on the line when Velveteen Dream defends against Roderic Strong. This match goes back to NXT’s last TakeOver in Toronto. At the event, Dream, Strong and Pete Dunne. During the match, Strong hit the End of Heartache on Dunne before Dream broke up Strongs attempted pinfall, winning the match for himself.

In the second match, WWE announced a Triple Threat Number One Contenders match for the NXT Women’s Championship. Mia Yim, Bianca Belair and Io Shirai will face off for the right to face the current champion, Shayna Baszler.

FIRST TWO NXT SHOWS ON USA NETWORK TO SPLIT BROADCAST WITH WWE NETWORK

NXT arrival on the USA Network will initially air live each week as a one hour show, with a second hour on the WWE Network.

The announcement states that the September 18 and September 25 NXT USA episodes will air live from 8pm – 9pm ET on the USA Network, from Full Sail Live in Winter Park, FL. The second hour of those episodes, from 9pm – 10pm ET, will then air live on the WWE Network.

The full two hours will begin airing live on just the USA Network on Wednesday, October 2, the same night they go head-to-head with AEW.

WWE SIGN EL HIJO DE FANTASMA

WWE announced today that two new talents have reported to the Performance Center in Orlando, FL – one of which is Jorge Bolly. Bolly is known as both El Hijo De Fantasma and King Cuerno in AAA and Lucha Underground respectively.

They also announced the signing of Edgar Lopez, a former soccer player from the Monterrey Institute of Technology’s Borregos Salvajes team

CHRIS JERICHO RETRIVES AEW CHAPIONSHIP BELT

Chris Jericho released a video today celebrating the return of his AEW Championship belt.

The title was originally stolen the night of All Out, as Chris went to eat after the event. Chris launched a worldwide investigation into the theft of the belt. Thankfully, the belt was returned to its rightful owner. At present, it is unclear how the belt was recovered and returned.

Chris celebrated the event is classic style, with a glass of champagne and announcing an “a little bit of the bubbly” t-shirt.

NJPW ROAD TO DESTRUCTION NIGHT TWO RESULTS

  • Michael Richards def. Yuya Uemura Young Lion Cup match
  • Ren Narite def. Karl Fredericks Young Lion Cup match
  • Satoshi Kojima, Clark Connors, and Alex Coughlin def. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Shota Umino, and Yota Tsuji
  • Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI, and Toa Henare def. Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, and Chase Owens
  • El Phantasmo, Taiji Ishimori, and Yujiro Takahashi def. Will Ospreay, Robbie Eagles, and Tomoaki Honma
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi, Ryusuke Taguchi, SHO, and YOH def. Minoru Suzuki, Zack Sabre Jr., Yoshinobu Kanemaru, and Douki
  • Kazuchika Okada, Hirooki Goto, and Rocky Romero def. SANADA, Shigo Takagi, and BUSHI

IWGP TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH SET FOR DESTRUCTION IN BEPPU

NJPW announced after the conclusion of Road to Destruction night two that the IWGP Tag Team titles would be defended on the 15th of September.

The decision was made after YOSHI-HASHI, Tomohiro Ishii and Rocky Romero defeated the Guerillas of Destiny: Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa and Chase Owens. After the match, the GoD beat down Ishii ringside and were looking to do the same to YOSHI-HASHI before Ishii recovered to make the save.

The match will feature as the co-main event, in the main event Hiroshi Tanahashi will defend his RevPro British Heavyweight title against the man he won it from, Zack Sabre Jr.

Comment

To Top